Re: [Nolug] Help!

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:28:58 -0500

<c_matthews@cox.net> writes:

> Ok so I installed that WineX thing, no problems there. Once I had
> it, it told me to run a check on my graphics card. I did and it came
> out negative, so it told me to change the config. Well I switched
> to my M$ side and got all the information about my graphics
> card. (GeForce 2, 32MB etc)

I don't have any experience with WineX (so I don't know how it
handles video drivers) but on my Debian box, I had to download the
nVidia drivers for this card from their website. The in-kernel
drivers don't do 3D.

> I found it, and after applying it, it told me to reboot so the
> changes would take place. Did this and when it went back to the
> "blue curve" interface (i'am using red hat 8) all i could see was
> red and black and green vertical lines. Could not see anything
> else. No way for me to change the display options back.

Sounds like you have the wrong video driver selected.

You can type CTRL-ALT-F1 to switch to a text console (at least, you
should be able to) and from there you can re-configure X to VGA or
VESA and start over.

> Is there a way to fix this without re-installing linux?

It is very rare that you will need to re-install Linux to fix a
problem.

Mark.