Re: [Nolug] Qmail for Clam and Spamassassin

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:06:06 -0500

-ray <ray@ops.selu.edu> writes:

> I looked at both sendmail and qmail and chose sendmail because the
> things like LDAP, spam/virus filtering/scanning seemed to be better
> integrated and more heavily used in sendmail than with qmail.

Base qmail doesn't have support for this sort of stuff, 'tis true.
qmail-ldap does have support for LDAP and qmail-scanner gives you
similar functionality to libmilter (similar, not identical).

Note, that because of the philosophy behind the development of qmail
and the license on qmail, that these bits do require patching qmail
to work.

> Sendmail has a well definied API called milter that lets 3rd party
> apps do pretty much whatever they want anytime during the SMTP
> transaction. I didn't see anything like that in qmail or any other
> free MTA's (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

You're wrong. ;-)

Exim lets you play with responses to various bits of the SMTP
transaction.

> Qmail is a great system and is used a lot more than people think.
> The track record shows it is more secure than sendmail. And you'll
> spend MUCH less time getting it going. But when i saw the cool and
> crazy stuff you could do with milter and mimedefang, i had to have
> it. :)

A lot of that cool and crazy stuff could be done with other MTAs.
mimedefang does give you a nice embeded Perl interpreter, but you get
the same with Exim. And, Exim includes embedded Perl as an option
during compilation.

If you don't need real-time response to envelope FROM's and the like,
then qmail-scanner gives you a nice place to stick your Perl code,
too.

I'm quite sure that you could do a lot of this with Postfix as well,
but I've not checked.

That covers the top 4 MTAs.

(For the record, I use mimedefang to put records in a DB, run a virus
scanner and SA over the email. So, I've done a tiny bit of custom
coding with mimedefang.

I've also also integrated Command Central's Vexira scanner into
qmail-scanner, so I've done a tiny bit of coding there.

Mark.

--
As long as you have mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery
you create morbidity.			     -- G.K. Chesterson