Re: [Nolug] Qmail for Clam and Spamassassin

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:35:03 -0500

Kevin Bucknum wrote:
>>So, can someone explain why other than the obvious (it works with the
>>about how-to and others on this list may better be able to support me)
>>why I should go to qmail. What does qmail do better than sendmail?
>

> http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2003/07/24/blocklist.html explains
> pretty well the reasons why I like qmail.
>
> Pros: It's small, secure, flexable, and just generally very unix like.
> Cons: The license isn't standard, and the mailing list doesn't put up with
> dumb questions(only barely a con).

Pros: *very* secure, install it and let it run for years. No updating
neccesary.
Cons: not the swiss army tool that sendmail is.

I've used qmail in both medium (50 users) and tiny (1 user) settings and
loved it. Runs great on Pentium class machines. With tools like
webmin, administration is easy. Setup is tolerably difficult. =P

--
Alex McKenzie     alex@boxchain.com     http://www.boxchain.com