Re: [Nolug] Qmail for Clam and Spamassassin

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:32:04 -0500

On Monday 28 July 2003 02:48 pm, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> "J. Kent Busbee, Jr." <buz@penwel.com> writes:
>
> > Now, I did notice that you can plug "ClamAV" into "sendmail", but I
> > don't think you can plug Spamassassin into "sendmail". Also, I know
> > that a few persons on this list have gone with the "qmail", "sendmail",
> > "spamassassin" solution and have raved about it.
>
> I think what people rave about is SpamAssassin (SA), not qmail and
> certainly not sendmail.
>
> SA does a good job.
>
> That said, for any MTA you might suggest, there is likely a modular
> plug-in system available that you could fit any anti-virus and spam
> software that you want into it.

FWIW, I'm running sendmail, clamav, spamassassin, mimedefang, and
Slackware 8.1 (with patches and Linux kernel 2.4.21) on my headless
K6-200 box here at home and it does a d*** fine job, thank you. I'll admit
that I had to learn a few things, but after only a few days tweaking it's
as smooth as prom date's thigh (remember those?). I can highly
recommend the combo, with one slight caveat: ClamAV does nightly
updates of the virus database, and sometimes their server isn't always
available. I don't know if it's too many hits or what. Otherwise, if you
want help on these, I'm here.

Andy Johnson
No relation to Ron that I know of.