Re: [Nolug] More Email Questions

From: mikey_at_otisinc1.net
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:09:19 -0400 (EDT)

> I am setting up an email server. What is the best security settings for
> setting up users who will be getting their email via pop. I guess that
> I will have to use adduser to add the users to the system. (Or is there
> some method for adding email users to the system -with a mailbox-
> without adding them as system users?) But, can they be set with NO
> shell and No home directory? Is that a good idea for security?

#useradd -s /bin/false $username

That will make sure that they don't have a shell. You might want to let
the users have a home directory so you can edit settings system-wide
settings, procmail settings, etc. If you're adding lotsa (l)users, you
might want to tighten up the settings in /etc/skel too, but be careful to
specify a special 'skel' for priviliged users.

--
Since-beer-leekz,
Mikey