Re: [Nolug] More Email Questions

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:16:56 -0500

"J. Kent Busbee, Jr." <buz@penwel.com> writes:

> I am setting up an email server. What is the best security settings for
> setting up users who will be getting their email via pop.

The Courier suite of IMAP/POP tools has a variety of backends that you
can plug into. They have great support for multiple domains

I've got multiple domains set up with Exim, Courier, and LDAP. Very
few of the users have any system information (e.g. no shell info, no
UID, no unique uidNumber).

> I guess that I will have to use adduser to add the users to the
> system. (Or is there some method for adding email users to the
> system -with a mailbox- without adding them as system users?)

LDAP is the way to go, really. Some sort of directory server. I use
OpenLDAP, but I have just a few domains. There are plenty of tools
out there to manage directory servers via LDAP as well.

> But, can they be set with NO shell and No home directory? Is that a
> good idea for security?

If you want your users to only have access to email on the box, then
this is a very good idea.

Mark.

--
As long as you have mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery
you create morbidity.			     -- G.K. Chesterson