Re: [Nolug] Gentoo?

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 02:21:54 -0500

Ron Johnson wrote:
>>But then what's the point of having that RAID0 compile farm?
>

> LOL. Next payday, you can buy me one... Dual Opteron 1.8s w/ 32GB
> core and 15K RPM U320 drives connected to a FC SAN would be nice!
> (Don't forget the 16GB cache in the SAN.)

I think I'll finish my college education instead. Should be about the
same price.

> You specify the Crusoe when building the kernel?

Only on my Crusoe machine :)

> But if you have slow disks and minimal RAM, then "make world" would
> take even longer (days, even), and that's down time that you can't
> use your computer.

Not if I'm doing it while I'm not using it anyway. My first foray into
Linux (with my own hardware) was on a P166 laptop, 4200rpm 2gb drive,
so a kernel compile is an overnight job.

> My original email mentioned, though, that no one denies the usefulness
> of targeted binaries for CPU-bound apps. How many app classes are
> CPU-bound, though?
> - crypto/compression
> - image processing
> - video "
> - databases (sometimes)
>
> Everything else uses CPU in spurts, and is mostly waiting for the KB
> or HD.

And as Moore's law continues, the performance gain from compiling is
less noticable. OTOH, you can compile -and- do other stuff.

Since I'm on slackware, I'm used to not having a binary available, but
with checkinstall, I can let my K7 crank out stuff for the slower
machines.

--
Alex McKenzie     alex@boxchain.com     http://www.boxchain.com