Re: [Nolug] Gentoo?

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 31 Jul 2003 01:05:18 -0500

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 00:48, Alex wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 23:22, Manuel Lora wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I've been using Linux for years, and Gentoo for a few months. I finally
> >>decided to go for it one day, after a hard drive died :)
> >>
> >>It's been really good to me. The setup is not necessarily tricky (just RTFM)
> >>but long, depending on the CPU and RAM. It will take several hours (or days)
> >>to get the basic system (stage1) installed. Alternatively, you can install
> >>pre-compiled stuff. I went the more "pure" way and compiled everything for
> >>the CPU.
> >

> > Is *****all*the*time***** burnt compiling a system from source?
> > Things like X, GNOME, KDE (and you'll need libraries for both) and
> > OOo take a really long time to compile.
> >
> > On almost everything except crypto, you get a better speed boost
> > by using more RAM, h/w 3D and faster disks.
> >
> > There have been lotsa threads regarding this on the Debian lists,
> > and that's the consensus, after someone actually did time tests.
> >

> But then what's the point of having that RAID0 compile farm?

LOL. Next payday, you can buy me one... Dual Opteron 1.8s w/ 32GB
core and 15K RPM U320 drives connected to a FC SAN would be nice!
(Don't forget the 16GB cache in the SAN.)

> I can qualitatively ;) say that I get better performance after compiling
> X and the kernel,

That's common, though. Even Debian has builds for lots of CPUs.

> but I believe a lot of that is because the Crusoe
> emulates the i386.

You specify the Crusoe when building the kernel?

> And if you already have a slow disk. and/or your ram
> is maxed out, which is the case for most laptops...then you want to
> squeeze everything out of it, right?

But if you have slow disks and minimal RAM, then "make world" would
take even longer (days, even), and that's down time that you can't
use your computer.

> So what is the speed difference from source v. binary? a couple
> percent? Was this test done on lots of different hardware? What about
> software that takes advantage of things like MMX etc.
>
> (not calling anyone out, just really curious, google hasn't told me yet)

That's one thing we never saw. :(

My original email mentioned, though, that no one denies the usefulness
of targeted binaries for CPU-bound apps. How many app classes are
CPU-bound, though?
- crypto/compression
- image processing
- video "
- databases (sometimes)

Everything else uses CPU in spurts, and is mostly waiting for the KB
or HD.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |