Re: [Nolug] Gentoo?

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:48:15 -0500

-ray <ray@ops.selu.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Alex wrote:
>
>> I can qualitatively ;) say that I get better performance after compiling
>> X and the kernel, but I believe a lot of that is because the Crusoe
>> emulates the i386. And if you already have a slow disk. and/or your ram
>> is maxed out, which is the case for most laptops...then you want to
>> squeeze everything out of it, right?
>
> I used to do make world on my freebsd boxes and i would swear that they
> ran a whole lot faster. But it was probably entirely psychological. :)
>
> Who cares about performance? Compiling your entire system from source is
> just cool and you know it!

Performance isn't my reason.

I like the portage system for management. It provides an enourmous amount of
control over how your system is built. It's also very very easy to add ebuilds.

It's great from a security standpoint as well. patches get into gentoo very
very quickly because of it's source based nature. That also allows gentoo
to be pretty bleeding-edge. A project releases new code, most of the time they
can just rename the ebuild to match the new version. if you're syncing daily
you'll be up to date right away.

I'm a Debian and BSD fan. Gentoo combines alot of those worlds.

And yes, I'm very happy with the performance of my gentoo boxen. I neither
know nor care how much of that is due to optimized compiles.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."