Re: [Nolug] email questions

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 05 Aug 2003 20:39:19 -0500

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 17:42, Craig Jackson wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I am sorry but your last email to me was accidentally deleted.
>
> You had asked why I was installing Courier-imap from source.
>
> I like to install major applications and their primary dependencies from
> source because I think it is better if we all operate from a single knowledge
> base. It's OK to install the base system from a distribution such as Debian
> (which is the one I like). Also It is easier to use options when configuring
> the source.
>
> I've had this discussion several times with people. I don't want to be
> dependent on so much on a distribution. I don't want to learn a packaging
> system flavor of the year. I don't want to install 5 different packages
> (arbitrarily created e.g. dev, ssl/tls, utils, etc etc), when I only need one
> package. I don't want to muck around with dependencies that aren't really
> dependencies or install 10 packages when I only want one package.

But that's one of the things I like about Debian: it breaks systems
down into lots of parts.

For example, in Mandrake, Python was dependent on X, because they
decided to create only a few big packages. Debian has made lots
of little Python packages, so I can easily install Python on my
firewall w/ no need for X.

> I like source. Last night I compiled openldap from source and it went
> beautifully. When it uninstalled the Debian openldap package to do this, it
> uninstalled gnupg. Why? I'm sure there's a reason and I'm sure there's a way
> to manage apt-get to do 95% like I want, but I'd rather install source.

This kind of thing happens to me occasionally, and I solve that
"problem" by just reinstalling what deinstalled.

When something like that happens you (and I) should send in a
report to the BTS.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |