Re: [Nolug] email questions

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:46:10 -0500

Craig Jackson <craig.jackson@wild.net> writes:

> I don't want to be dependent on so much on a distribution. I don't
> want to learn a packaging system flavor of the year.

I can sympathize with you, but, as a sysadmin of just a few boxes at
present (and, with past experience of managing a larger number of
boxes) I've gotta say that it pays to learn a particular system's
packaging scheme. I've learned and created packages in each of
Redhat's RPM, *BSD's ports, Solaris/SVR4's package format, and
Debian's dpkg. Packaging software in the OS's particular installation
format makes installing the software on multiple machines a breeze.

That said, here is a place where knowing a little about Debian's
packaging system would help you even if you don't want to install the
binary. You said you want to know the compile-time options for
Courier. You can find out what the Debian package uses to build by:

    $ apt-get source courier-imap
    $ less courier-*/debian/rules

You'll see a Makefile that handles the compilation and packaging of
Debian's binary courier-* packages. You should be able to find the
options that get passed to configure to compile the package. This
will help you determine what you need to do to compile your own
package.

Hope that helps,

Mark.