Re: [Nolug] email questions

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:51:47 -0500

mah@everybody.org (Mark A. Hershberger) writes:

> Have you looked at OpenPKG? Just curious -- I only know of its
> existence and haven't really looked at it. From what I can see, it
> is a unified build system for use across platforms.
>
> It seems like having a build system available would help a lot in
> managing those Solaris boxes.

This doesn't look too bad, actually. It is RPM based which is a check
against it in my book but it appears to solve some problems. And they
encourage building from source. In a larger environment
(buzzword:enterprise) you could have a central package database that
includes both openpkg provided content as well as local packages your
team needs. You could even have one build server and the rest use only
binaries supplied form the build box.

The cross-platform aspect is interesting as well though my personal
goal would be dealing with Solaris' lack of a system that compares
well against ports, portage, dpkg, etc.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."