Re: [Nolug] Linux in US Navy submarines

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:05:33 -0500

"Brett D. Estrade" <estrabd@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2003-08-06.shtml
>> "United States Navy submarines utilize on-board HPC clusters for the
>> realtime image processing. These systems are revised and upgraded on
>> a rotational basis. Lockheed Martin has chosen to move with the Apple
>> Xserves and Yellow Dog Linux. This combination provides a solution
>> twice as dense, less power consumptive, and higher performance than
>> the previous solution at a similar cost."

This is very helpful to me because at my workplace I get told by
various individuals that it is Navy policy not to use Open Source
software. Of course it is in wide use anyway. I have built up
several documents, DoD, NSA, the recent IBM common criteria announcement,
to show that Open Source Software is indeed used by the Navy and is
a "good thing"

There basic deal with it is that they want someone to stand behind
support for the software. The idea that the contractor doing the
admin is also supporting the software in use to do that somehow
doesn't seem to work for them. Lots of confusion about the difference
between shareware, which has bitten them before, and OSS exists.

So there is kind of a market for companies that can get government
certified under GSA to sell support contracts for various open source
products.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."