Re: [Nolug] running a mail server with a Cox account

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 12:24:31 -0500

Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net> writes:

> Perhaps someone has insight into whether or how this works... maybe Charles
> could chime in?
>
> I know that Cox blocks outbound and inbound connections to port 25, leaving
> only the option of using one of their official mail servers to send outgoing
> mail. What I want to do is run my own copy of sendmail/postfix/whatever on my
> LAN, and have it forward mail to one of the Cox servers. Will Cox's servers
> mind if I connect to them with an MTA instead of an MUA, and how would I
> config my server to do that?

SMTP is SMTP whether spoken by MUA or MTA. All mail servers have "smart relay"
or "relayhost" functionality. in postfix, put in main.cf
relayhost=smtp.east.cox.net

You will also need to use virtualhosting features and set your mail server
name to whatever your IP reverse DNS lookup is. Again in postfix main.cf
myhostname = ipmy-ip-add-ress.no.no.cox.net

And then I set up virtual hosting for my LAN

Probably not necessary since you're relaying through Cox but if you want
to talk to some mail servers, you need to set up MX records in DNS AND have
forward lookup = reverse lookup (AOL does this).

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."