Re: [Nolug] running a mail server with a Cox account

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 13:16:23 +0000

<snip>

>SMTP is SMTP whether spoken by MUA or MTA. All mail servers have "smart
> relay" or "relayhost" functionality. in postfix, put in main.cf
>relayhost=smtp.east.cox.net

OK, I did that, and got this (not my box, so this is outgoing mail):

Aug 9 12:58:42 mail postfix/nqmgr[7625]: DA4681C013:
to=<joey@joeykelly.net>, relay=none, delay=0, status=deferred (connect to
smtp.east.cox.net[68.1.17.4]: Connection timed out

Hmm... it's not using the relay, if I'm reading it right.

>You will also need to use virtualhosting features and set your mail server
>name to whatever your IP reverse DNS lookup is. Again in postfix main.cf
>myhostname = ipmy-ip-add-ress.no.no.cox.net
>
>And then I set up virtual hosting for my LAN

Incoming mail vhosting is already working (don't get my started on how long
that took... postfix documentation is spotty at best... and there are only 2
books on postfix at amazon.com, one of which I have (the Sams book), it's 2
years out of date and contradicts itself repeatedly, depending on what
chapter you're reading...).