[Nolug] On track for World Domination!

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:34:13 -0500

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/13/1424212

Wow!!!! 34,000 desktops (maybe) running Linux!
<QUOTE>
(Siemens) is about to roll out 7,000 Linux desktops at a "very large
financial institution." If that program succeeds, McNutt expects to
convert the remaining 27,000 seats to Linux as well.
</QUOTE>

Same training needs as The Borg
<QUOTE>
That's why testing was conducted with "secretaries and managers,
not IT people." McNutt believes that the Ximian desktop and
application suite, running on either SuSE or Red Hat, requires two
days of training, which is the same as what most enterprises budget
for a Windows/MS Office version upgrade: one day to acquaint users
with the desktop, and one day to introduce the OpenOffice suite.
</QUOTE>

Interesting quote about Windows, KDE & Gnome
<QUOTE>
Siemens has no "religious" attachment to a particular distro or
desktop environment. Before settling on Ximian, Siemens evaluated
plain vanilla Gnome and KDE as well. Siemens found KDE to be more
"Windows-like" than Gnome, but that lead to problems when non-tech-
nical users expected a more Windows-like experience. Gnome, partic-
ularly Ximian's version, was "different enough" to set user expec-
tations that the experience would be less like Windows, which led
to fewer adoption problems.
</QUOTE>