[Nolug] Can't access user accounts

From: jdtiede_at_bellsouth.net
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:45:54 -0400

    When I try logging into either of two user accounts, I get a message that my session has been active for less than 10 seconds (duh!) and to look a .xsession-errors. I did that and compared for the two accounts. There were no real similarities. On my main one, on which I am dependent for QuickBooks (elected to use that instead of a native Linux system because there is no easy way to convert pre-existing data) there is a reference to a sound server failure which looks as if it might be the cause. The error message also suggests using failsafe methods to determine the cause, but I don't know what those are in Linux.
    Root and my database manager account both work, but I haven't been able to assign a password to the database manager. It isn't listed under System Settings and I haven't been able to make a command line work for that. I didn't have this problem until my last re-install of the database system. Any ideas?