Re: [Nolug] best excel replacement?

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 03:31:04 -0500

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 01:28, Alex McKenzie wrote:
> > A fully installed OOo 1.0.3 is ~300MB. 1.1b seems to be about 200MB,
> > which is surprising. Note, also, that I don't think you have to install
> > all of OOo, so that may lessen the disk footprint.
> >

> OOo pitches itself as a suite, and there's only one thing to install.
>
> Apparently you can build from source an individual project, but you need
> to have installed the entire thing first, due to dependencies. Plus
> havethe Java SDK, X libs and headers, yadda yadda. And:

Building from source takes a *long* time, even on a 2GHz box, and
somehow I don't think you have one!

However, remember also that MS Office is a suite, but individual
pieces can also be installed.

I'm 99.44% sure that if you grab the pre-built binary from OO.org,
then you'll be able to pick and choose which pieces you want to
install.

And, no, you don't need Java to install it.

> 3 Gb free disk space, add approximately 2 Gb to build with
> --with-lang=ALL option. Approximately 8 Gb with full crash report
> enabled, --enable-crashdump.
>
> Which I do have on another partition. But maybe I'll try it out on
> another machine first. But what I want to know is, which one do *you*
> like? Why?

OO Calc 1.1 is very good at reading & writing xls files, and is
full featured as far as I can see, except charting in Excel97 seems
more intuitive.