Re: [Nolug] best excel replacement?

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 03:39:34 -0500

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 16:01, Alex McKenzie wrote:
> Does anyone have a favorite spreadsheet program they use in *nix? Excel
> is the one program by M$ that I actually like :P, but it's still plagued
> with terrible help and that damn paperclip, but I digress...
>
> I know there's Koffice, staroffice, gnumeric (which I've been using and
> it's on my last nerve). I need to be able to work with text/CSV files,
> make graphs, calculations, and have the files work pseudoperfectly in
> excel. My space is limited <800 MB right now with no Gnome or KDE, so
> trying one out will require installing a lot of libs, as I've already
> done with gnumeric, it is disk/time consuming. I've already got
> mail/word apps I'm happy with so I want just one program, not a whole
> suite.
>
> Also, anyone ever use Origin for Wind-ws, and know of a suitable
> replacement? The more Linux we can use in the lab, the better. TIA

Of course, the "best" solution to Excel compatibility would be
Wine (or http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/) and an old
copy of Execl...

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
Thanks to the good people in Microsoft, a great deal of the data
that flows is dependent on one company. That is not a healthy
ecosystem. The issue is that creativity gets filtered through
the business plan of one company.
Mitchell Baker, "Chief Lizard Wrangler" at Mozilla