[Nolug] Brown Foundation Service Learning Celebration Again

From: Wendell Jones <gwjones_at_structurex.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:56:26 -0500

Hi everybody,

Well, it's that time of year again and the Brown Foundation will be
holding the "Service Celebration" on Tuesday, September 16th, this
time at the Pontchartrain Center in Kenner.

For those of you who don't know, the Brown Foundation has a Service
Learning Program which funds school kids in activities of service to
their communities. The Service Celebration is the annual event where
all the kids and their teachers get together for the awarding of
grants and recognition of their efforts. For the last 2 years, we
have represented NOLUG in the "expo" area where various non-profit
organization have booths to recruit students for the next year's
projects or just to give out information about their groups.

We have basically set up a server (on an old 486) networked to a PC
workstation so people (students and teachers) could see and try out
Linux and other open source software. We also distributed quite a few
Knoppix and similar CDs. Maybe Dave and Joey can give some impressions
as they have both been there, as has Michael Flora, I believe.

Anyway, the point of this message is, does anyone want to help out this
year, either by helping to man the booth or perhaps making some CDs or
something? The setup time is 8:30 - 9 AM and the event is 9 - 12:30.
There is free food and soft drinks available, too.

This can be a good opportunity to spread the word a little and if
anyone is up for it, maybe start a project with some school kids.
Also, much of the interest came from the other non-profits there.

Let me know what you all think as I need to let them know by Aug. 22nd
if we want to go this year and how many people will be there.

Thanks,

Wendell Jones