[Nolug] Clubhouse Idea

From: Chris Reames <chris_at_drugfreemro.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:04:19 -0500

Scott,
Can you talk to UNO about a Classroom.
If we could setup a Linux Lab in a permanent room, we could have meetings
and possibly teach introductory Linux classes.
We need a room that can be accessed after work. It wouldn't help much if we
couldn't get in after 5:00pm.
Ideally, we would want 24/7 access. Maybe with campus police entry between
7:00pm and 7:00am.

I think if we can pitch the Teaching Linux idea, we may have a shot.
Beginners Class:
We could start with installing and configuring X-windows
Introduction to KDE, Gnome, etc.
        navigation,
        running programs,
        locating and installing basic packages,
        Basic Firewall configuration in x-windows,
        Basic Apache configuration in x-windows,
        Basic Sendmail(postfix) in x-windows.
The usual things most people will use x-windows for.

Intermediate Class:
We could start with installing and reconfiguring X-windows adding devices
etc.
        running programs from command line,
        locating and installing packages,
      Using vi, grep, chown, chmod, man pages, nslookup etc.
        Command line Firewall configuration,
        Advanced Apache configuration with JAVA support etc.,
        FTP server and user directories.
        DNS & Sendmail(postfix)as mail server.
The usual things most people will use.

Advanced Class:
Complete command line installation.
        configuring hardware components,
        installing packages,
        edit firewall files,
      edit apache files,
        edit dns files,
        edit sendmail(postfix) files,
        setup ftp server and user directories.

Extreme Class:
All the fun stuff Hunter would do to get us in trouble.
Oh, and lets not forget BMACs CD Server for his MP3 collection (did he ever
get that to work?)
        This is where we would do Wireless configurations,
        clusters (drool)
        building linux from a kernel
        etc.
Basically, this would be the monthly meetings with all the wierd and
wonderful ideas we geeks come up with.
(like building a linux distro that will hack and run windows programs like
office, GAMES, other 'productivity' things)

Well, thats all the thoughts I have time for. (no more thinking for the
rest of the day)
If nothing else, maybe this scale will help up figure out where our group
fits.
I personally feel I'm in the Intermediate category.

Thanks for your time.
Chris

Todays Fortune Cookie: Work on ideas that are creative and can bring fine
results.