Re: [Nolug] Clubhouse Idea

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 14:49:40 -0500

"Chris Reames" <chris@drugfreemro.com> writes:

> Scott,
> Can you talk to UNO about a Classroom.
> If we could setup a Linux Lab in a permanent room, we could have meetings
> and possibly teach introductory Linux classes.
> We need a room that can be accessed after work. It wouldn't help much if we
> couldn't get in after 5:00pm.
> Ideally, we would want 24/7 access. Maybe with campus police entry between
> 7:00pm and 7:00am.

 I dont work for UNO but I can ASK. that said. you're asking for a LOT.

And who's ging to do all this teaching you propose. It's a nice idea, but a
little pie in the sky. Try not to overshoot the runway. Pick a few things that
people will actually DO and grow into it.

> I think if we can pitch the Teaching Linux idea, we may have a shot.
> Beginners Class:
> We could start with installing and configuring X-windows
> Introduction to KDE, Gnome, etc.
> navigation,
> running programs,
> locating and installing basic packages,
> Basic Firewall configuration in x-windows,
> Basic Apache configuration in x-windows,
> Basic Sendmail(postfix) in x-windows.
> The usual things most people will use x-windows for.
>
> Intermediate Class:
> We could start with installing and reconfiguring X-windows adding devices
> etc.
> running programs from command line,
> locating and installing packages,
> Using vi, grep, chown, chmod, man pages, nslookup etc.
> Command line Firewall configuration,
> Advanced Apache configuration with JAVA support etc.,
> FTP server and user directories.
> DNS & Sendmail(postfix)as mail server.
> The usual things most people will use.
>
> Advanced Class:
> Complete command line installation.
> configuring hardware components,
> installing packages,
> edit firewall files,
> edit apache files,
> edit dns files,
> edit sendmail(postfix) files,
> setup ftp server and user directories.
>
> Extreme Class:
> All the fun stuff Hunter would do to get us in trouble.
> Oh, and lets not forget BMACs CD Server for his MP3 collection (did he ever
> get that to work?)
> This is where we would do Wireless configurations,
> clusters (drool)
> building linux from a kernel
> etc.
> Basically, this would be the monthly meetings with all the wierd and
> wonderful ideas we geeks come up with.
> (like building a linux distro that will hack and run windows programs like
> office, GAMES, other 'productivity' things)
>
> Well, thats all the thoughts I have time for. (no more thinking for the
> rest of the day)
> If nothing else, maybe this scale will help up figure out where our group
> fits.
> I personally feel I'm in the Intermediate category.
>
> Thanks for your time.
> Chris
>

> Todays Fortune Cookie: Work on ideas that are creative and can bring fine
> results.

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."
gpg key fingerprint=7125 0BD3 8EC4 08D7 321D CEE9 F024 7DA6 0BC7 94E5