[Nolug] Design v. Implementation (was Re: FEEDBACK: Security blame games)

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:07:12 -0500

Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net> writes:

> I'm not sure if you have done any development work, but there is a big
> difference between implementation and design.

Let's say I don't know diddly about design or implementation. What
are the differences?

How can we tell if something is part of a program's design while
another thing is part of its implementation?

> I think there is some confusion here. I am not in any way saying that
> Outlook is safe.

No, we must be talking past each other. I'm not saying that you
think Outlook is safe.

> However, that doesn't mean that the design of Outlook is poor
> (although I would argue some design choices are a bit weak).

If the programmers at Microsoft made some poor implementation choices
(as opposed to the system having a design flaw), shouldn't that be
something that they can fix more easily?

> We had this same debate on a brlug.net list.

I noticed ;-) I'm not really interested in debate (where debate
implies pounding the other person to a bloody pulp with stubborn
repetition).

Mark.