Re: [Nolug] Re:

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:53:51 -0500

"Tim Kelley" <tpk@23rdward.org> writes:

> <sarcasm>You're right, working for a major corporation is so much better, no
> benefits, shitty pay, no security, surrounded by uneducated idiots, and
> treated like shit into the bargain! </sarcasm>

Hmm... This doesn't quite match my experience.

I'm a contractor (through Universal Personnel/Wink Inc.) and get full
benefits/vacation time. And the pay is great (never-mind that I was
competing against Californians who were asking $50+/hr).

But, the lack of security and presence of idiots I can identify with.

And, as someone who worked (on a contract basis) at a government
agency (MMS), I can attest to the fact that you can't escape the
idiots in government.

So... job security seems like it is only thing that Government work
has going for it.

And job security is the reason that gov't agencies are filled with
idiots. As I've been told (and seen with my own eyes), if someone in
gov't is incompetent, they just move them to a different department
after they get fed up.

> I would ideally prefer working in a worker-owned co-op myself, but
> university sounds pretty sweet from here ...

What are you? A commie? Damn Linux Commies....

But, if you find a worker-owned Linux coop, I'd be in.

Course, since my contract is up on the 10th, I'd take government work
right now, too.

Mark.