Re: [Nolug] Genome Sequencing uses: Perl

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 02:34:47 -0500

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 20:29, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 18:43, Brett D. Estrade wrote:
> >> No doubt .. might I add that Perl is much nearly ubiquitous on *nix
> >> machines - thats the part that makes Perl most useful to my job :)
> >
> > True, since it's progeny are sed, awk & grep.
>
> Oh, come on. Even Larry Wall will say it is more bastardized than
> that. There's some Ada, Lisp, and C in there, too.

Oops. s/progeny/ancestors/

Even though it's got some ideas from other languages, you must admit
that Perl was designed by someone who knew sed, awk & grep, and wrote
it *for* people who know sed, awk & grep, and that those three had
a great influence on the creation of the Perl.

If I may paraphrase: On Language to Rule them, and in the code,
bind them.

> Python is ok, it just doesn't have the ecclectic wonderful-ness that

I like ecclectic wonderful-ness in pretty girls, but definitely *not*
in computer languages!

http://www.python.org/doc/current/modindex.html
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/genindex.html