Re: [Nolug] So you wanna run Java on that refrigerator?

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:56:46 -0500

Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net> writes:

> For all you Java heads around... The Java language was originally written
> with Internet toasters in mind, along with net VCRs, net washing machines,
> etc..

And it was called "Oak". The intention was that it would be used with
set-top boxes and aid interactive TV. Links and commentary at
<http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/10686>

> It was a concept before its time, and failed.

>From http://java.sun.com/features/1998/05/birthday.html

    The secret "Green Team," fully staffed at 13 people, was chartered
    by Sun to anticipate and plan for the "next wave" in
    computing. Their initial conclusion was that at least one
    significant trend would be the convergence of digitally controlled
    consumer devices and computers.

[...]

    The FirstPerson team [a cloistered division of Sun] was trying to
    find a market for a *7-type [that is, Java/Oak powered] of device,
    and the TV set-top box and video-on-demand industries seemed to
    make the most sense.

People have been trying to do video-on-demand for at least 10 years,
maybe more. I remember reading Wired articles about VoD experiments
in the early '90s. Even more "futuristic" is "Interactive TV" -- the
Fahrenheit 451 world.

I think the reality is this: who want to interact use the Internet.
People who want to watch TV watch TV.

Mark.

--
Peace is only better than war if peace isn't hell, too.
    -- Walker Percy, "The Second Coming"