Re: Networked refrigerators (was Re: [Nolug] Vint Cerf talk (my notes from his talk at LSU))

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:19:08 -0500

> Perhaps it has 3d optical scanners on all sides to take inventory of
> what's there, and using optical recognition can tell what it is. Even
> today's optical recognition can tell the difference between a gallon of
> milk, a 2-liter coke, or an apple. Based on where it is, the fridge can
> weigh the object to see how much milk is left in the carton.

Or maybe it's using a mass spectrometer, and doing a chemical analysis...

"Hmm, this round thing has a high calcium content, must be an egg."

"Uh oh, that pot in the back is starting to produce volatile organics.
Throw the damn stuff away please!"

And as far as the usefulness of having refrigerator diagnostics, think
of the "Check Engine" light in your car. There is an entire list of
exceptions that will throw that, anywhere from intake barometric
pressure out of spec, to completely out of oil. Many people ignore
theirs...mine comes on all the time because my idle is set a little low.

Besides, do you think the fridge manufacturers would include something,
largely at their cost, that may prevent you from breaking your
refirgetator and in effect buying a new one?

> And that's only the first thing i thought of... I totally agree with
> Dustin. We shouldn't limit our ideas of what might happen in the future
> based on our extremely limited knowledge of how things work today... :)

You go ahead and throw your money at silly ideas. I'll remain
skeptical....A

--
Alex McKenzie     alex@boxchain.com     http://www.boxchain.com