Re: Networked refrigerators (was Re: [Nolug] Vint Cerf talk (my notes from his talk at LSU))

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:44:02 -0500

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 10:30, Joey Kelly wrote:
> Thou spake:
> >On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 09:43, Joey Kelly wrote:
> >> Thou spake:
> >> <snip>

> >> You'd scan each egg (or tell the fridge "I'm taking out two eggs, HAL"),
> >> and it would keep track.
> >
> >But that's not how people usually work. The normal way of doing
> >things is to take a bunch of pots, jugs, trays, etc out of the
> >fridge and to the counter, do the cooking, and bring any partly
> >empty containers + any new ones of leftovers back to the fridge.
> >
> >Remember, the goal is to make life easier, not more Windows-like.
> >
> >In other words: K.I.S,E.
>
> HAL: "What are you taking out of the fridge? I need to keep track, you know"
> YOU: "Take a flying leap, HAL"
> HAL: "Hmm... I don't think I have any of that in stock. How about an orange
> instead?"

Speech recognition isn't all it's cracked up to be... (So far.)

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
"For me and windows it became a matter of easy to start with,
and becoming increasingly difficult to be productive as time
went on, and if something went wrong very difficult to fix,
compared to linux's large over head setting up and learning the
system with ease of use and the increase in productivity
becoming larger the longer I use the system."
Rohan Nicholls , The Netherlands