Re: [Nolug] Re: Networked refrigerators

From: Alex <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:11:12 -0500

Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Alex McKenzie <alex@boxchain.com> writes:
>

>>>This reminds me of the On-Star system that GM or whoever has for
>>>your car. I'm betting it wouldn't be too hard to socially-engineer
>>>a car door open.
>>
>>That's hooked in with a satellite system, and has been used to recover
>>stolen vehicles. Very quickly -- you've got GPS.
>

> Sure, but, if you can social engineer a car door open, then you can
> find the GPS and disable it.

Possibly, but generally thieves use a brute force attack. Did anyone
see the semi-recent bit of journalism that the TP did (really!) about
car thieves? Mostly kids that don't have a license yet, getting lt $100
per car stolen.

OTOH, there's the drill into the battery trick, disabling the electrical
system. Requires a tow truck, but they aren't hard to get. Technique
reserved for high value targets.

> If someone sees an On-Star car with a nice camera inside, all they
> need is an open car door, not the whole car.

All they need is a rock...brute force attack again.

--
Alex McKenzie     alex@boxchain.com     http://www.boxchain.com