[Nolug] Fwd: [IPG] Now the Shift Key is a DCMA Target

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:32:51 -0500

Okay, this is getting stupid. I have called and written both Senators and
our Congressmen about this in the past. I suggest everyone do it again.
This thing is going to stay on the books as long as we don't whine enough
about it to the right people. It's that simple.

>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/33322.html
>SunnComm to sue 'Shift key' student for $10m
>By Tony Smith
>

>SunnComm has threatened Princeton PhD student Alex Halderman with the
>Digital
>Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) for exposing a key weakness in the company's
>
>latest CD copy protection technology, MediaMax CD3.
>
>The company said today it will take legal action against Halderman for
>revealing how MediaMax CD3 can be bypassed by holding down a Windows PC's
>Shift key when a protected disc is inserted.
>

><more>

---
Dustin Puryear
http://www.puryear-it.com