We are talking about the DMCA - Was: Re: [Nolug] Fwd: [IPG] Now the Shift Key is a DCMA Target

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:16:37 -0500

At 01:40 PM 10/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:

> > Okay, this is getting stupid. I have called and written both Senators and
> > our Congressmen about this in the past. I suggest everyone do it again.
> > This thing is going to stay on the books as long as we don't whine enough
> > about it to the right people. It's that simple.
>
>The latest news from /. says that they're backing down.
>
>http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2003/10/10/news/8797.shtml
>
>But, I agree, something's gotta be done about these stupid DMCA lawsuits.
>I'm sure there is a /special/ place in hell for the fu^H^Hlaw makers who
>cluelessly passed the DMCA.

I don't know if the entire DMCA is bad law. However, there are portions
that are notoriously dangerous to research and to basic rights of usage
that we can all agree need to be fixed. Everyone should do their own
research and then complain to their representatives if they don't like what
they find. It's the only way things will change.

---
Dustin Puryear
http://www.puryear-it.com