[Nolug] Re: OS Challenge Tonight @ LSU

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:06:06 +0000

Gaa... your stuff keeps getting tagged as spam :-(

Um, the only thing I'd mention is to keep cool about *BSD. I use NetBSD on
occasion, and think it's great. I can find reasons to prefer it over Linux,
too, but

1). No one besides geeks has even heard of it. Who are we trying to attract?
People are at least beginning to hear about Linux.

2). BSD is *nix. Linux is a *nix clone. Fundamentally, they both work the
same. *Nix is better than windows. I tend to treat BSD and Linux the same
(free *nix OSs that are way better in most respects to windows). Getting
picky about BSD is almost the same as getting picky about which Linux distro
to us. What's the point? Those kinds of arguments tend to turn off a lot of
people. If you want a distro that's as secure as BSD, run debian or slack. if
you want a portage-type install, use gentoo (or NetBSD's pkgsrc, which has
been ported to debian, OSX and slowlaris). There is nothing inherently
superior about BSD as opposed to Linux, when you get down to it. Hey, 2.6 is
even faster than FreeBSD, anyhow (seen the story on slashdot this week?).
Personally, I detest redhat, but a few noluggers swear by it. We're all about
choice, remember?

Just my 2 centavos...

--Joey

>All,
> The Louisian State University chapter of the Association of Computing
>Machinery will be holding an OS Challenge this Thursday night in Baton
>Rouge. The Challenge will include student representatives of Linux, Mac
>OS X, and MS Windows debating the strengths of each OS. (The Unix OS
>won't be represented... apparently there aren't many students with an Ultra60
>on there desk.) The topics should end up being development, distribution,
>and an unknown topic. The ACM's goal is to demostrate that each OS is a
valuable tool and has its place in the toolbox.