Re: [Nolug] Trouble with mail

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:58:55 -0600

Try "USER me@haggis"

> It's like suddenly the popd isn't looking in at /var/mail/me
> anymore.

So where do the logs say it's looking? Can you disable
pop3 from inetd and run it in debug mode on the console? Or
turn up the logging to debug mode to see what happens when you connect?

It may be looking in $HOME/Mailbox or similar. One "cheat" you
could do is just symlink back to /var/mail/me .

> The frustrating/confusing thing is that other users in /var/mail
> can still get their mail.
>
> # dir /var/mail/me
> -rw-rw---- 1 me mail 625707 Oct 28 11:34 /var/mail/me
>
>> Your main weapon in troubleshooting this is finding the logs.
>
> Looked in them, and it just confirms what I said earlier:
> suddenly it stopped seeing /var/mail/me.
>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, I suddenly have a little bit of trouble receiving
>> > mail.
>> >
>> > Here's my setup:
>> > fetchmail->amavisd-new->SpamAssassin->postfix
>> > ipop3d->Evolution (this is so that Reply will work)
>> >
>> > This has been working for the past month, with Evo perfectly
>> happy
>> > fetching from haggis (the name of localhost) instead of
>> > pop.east.cox.net.
>> >
>> > Postfix is appending new messages into /var/mail/me, so I know
>> > that that part works.
>> >
>> > It seems like Evo 1.4.4 just doesn't want to get the pop mail
>> > anymore from the account 'me@haggis', although it seems perfectly
>>
>> > fine popping mail from 'spam-quarantine@haggis' (which is where
>> SA
>> > sends all spam.
>> >
>> > It all started when I installed courier-imap.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any ideas?

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."
gpg key fingerprint=7125 0BD3 8EC4 08D7 321D CEE9 F024 7DA6 0BC7 94E5