Re: [Nolug] Need a new HDD

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:13:00 -0600

On Thursday 30 October 2003 02:20 am, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My root disk died tonight, so I need a new one quickly, and would
> like to get one here in town. However, I see 120GB 7200RPM disks for
> less than $80 (not including S/H) in Pricewatch. Are the prices here
> in town anywhere close to that?

Another thing I look for when drive shopping is a controller in the
box with drives > 138 GB. I recently got a 160 GB with an ATA/133
controller for $99 after rebate (yes, I did finally get the check) from
CompUSA, but I wasn't in a hurry, so I could wait for the right special.

The Promise controller that came with the Maxtor drive works fine
in Linux, as long as you compile in support for it. If your MB already
has ATA/133 support, then this wouldn't matter. I'm still waiting for
a drive with a controller to go on sale at a decent price, so I can
finally add some space to my Alpha. SCSI is just too expensive.

Andy