Re: [Nolug] Distro suggestions

From: mah_at_everybody.org
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:46:46 -0600

Quoting "Andrew S. Johnson" <andy@asjohnson.com>:

> Is this a good time to start a distro holy war?

Any time is a good time for a holy war about things that, ultimately, don't
matter. (I should point out that what I love about Free Software is the
personalities. Eccentrics like rms, Knuckleheads like esr, Facinating weirdos
like Larry Wall. It doesn't get much better than this.)

I use Debian, myself. A couple of friends have complained that it is hard to
install and I had to accept that till another friend in Florida pointed out
that if you boot Knoppix and like it, it'll install Debian from the CD. Cool!

Why Debian?

Because, I'm not using Linux because I hate Microsoft. I'm using Linux because
(after the personalities of Free Software) I love the freedom and openness of
UNIX. I've become so steeped in the politics of Free Software that I try to
rid my machine of /all/ proprietary, closed software. So, right there, out
goes RedHat and Suse.

Debian is about individuals empowering other indiduals. So, of course, I've
gotta use it. Despite the fact that it may have a few more rough edges than
other distributions, it is owned and maintained entirely by its users. Being a
hacker and UNIX-lover, Debian is what I want since it embodies a sustainable
model for continuous development.

Mark.