RE: [Nolug] Distro suggestions

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 12:45:09 -0600

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 10:43, Alex McKenzie wrote:
> So what makes the deb system work for deep upgrades? I remember the
> horrors I went through with rpm, especially the snafu of upgrading to
> rpm-4. Is deb more flexible about dependencies? Or is it just the
> convenience of apt?
>
> My fear with apt is that it'll try to upgrade its way out of dependency
> hell, and start breaking things.

There is *no* dependency hell in the "stable" version of Debian.
There are times, occasionally, where packages get moved into "test-
ing" or "unstable" before a subsidiary package gets moved, or there
may be a packaging bug, where the maintainer forgot to update the
dependencies. Wait a few days, and it'll get fixed.

> I've had bad experiences with Mandrake and simple hardware, like a mouse.
> And 8.0 (2.4.3 based) paniced a lot, but that was probably the instability
> of that kernel.

How geeky are you?

If so, install a minimal Debian Woody (i.e., stable). Then imme-
diately upgrade to "testing", and then make a combined "testing/
unstable" system. By keeping up with it on a weekly basis, you'll
be very happy with it.