Re: [Nolug] Distro suggestions

From: Alex <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 19:45:32 -0600

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 18:42, Alex wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the recipe. I want to say the machine has 256MB RAM, because
>>we like RAM in our lab, and it *did* run XP. I'm going to go with
>>Mozilla, the person who will be usign it is a Mac user, not a Linux
>>user, and it'll run with that config, as well as KDE2. It's got a
>>damaged-from-upgrading Mandrake 9 on it right now
>>
>>I know I like xfce and fluxbox, but they're a little daunting for a convert.
>

> If you set up enough icons on the xfce desktop, anyone should be
> able to use it, even though it's different from the Mac.

Well, I haven't tried xfce4, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

> Mozilla is a Gtk+ app, so if you run it under KDE, the box will
> have to load Qt, KDE *and* Gtk.

Good to know. It works fine now, in Mandrake, on that machine. Another
reason why I think it's got 256 MB.

In Linux, 256 is a -lot- of RAM. On my desktop at home (K7-750) I can
run Gnome, Mozilla with about 20 tabs and mail, gaim, 3 terminals with
ssh sessions, F@H, xmms, watch a divx in mplayer, etc, etc, and gimp
with several 25MB TIFFs and not swap. I went to 512 because of w-nd-ws,
which I only use for a few games anymore. The only apps that are
noticably slow are pan with very large groups open, and nautilus.

> With XFce, all you'll have is Gtk loaded.
>
> Try him(?) out on XFce, and see if he really balks. If so, you
> can always install KDE.
>

>>Ah, the other great thing about text based tools is that I can sit at my
>>desk, ssh into the minimal install, and finish it up from there. Or,
>>set it to run at night, when there is bandwidth. Yes, the University
>

> What Uni is this, so I can remember not to send my kids there?

UNO. 3400 machines on 6Mb + 6Mb internet2. Send them there anyway, and
buy them a T1 with the money you save.

--
Alex McKenzie     alex@boxchain.com     http://www.boxchain.com