Re: [Nolug] Distro suggestions

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 19:05:43 -0600

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 18:42, Alex wrote:
> Thanks for the recipe. I want to say the machine has 256MB RAM, because
> we like RAM in our lab, and it *did* run XP. I'm going to go with
> Mozilla, the person who will be usign it is a Mac user, not a Linux
> user, and it'll run with that config, as well as KDE2. It's got a
> damaged-from-upgrading Mandrake 9 on it right now
>
> I know I like xfce and fluxbox, but they're a little daunting for a convert.

If you set up enough icons on the xfce desktop, anyone should be
able to use it, even though it's different from the Mac.

Mozilla is a Gtk+ app, so if you run it under KDE, the box will
have to load Qt, KDE *and* Gtk.

With XFce, all you'll have is Gtk loaded.

Try him(?) out on XFce, and see if he really balks. If so, you
can always install KDE.

> Ah, the other great thing about text based tools is that I can sit at my
> desk, ssh into the minimal install, and finish it up from there. Or,
> set it to run at night, when there is bandwidth. Yes, the University

What Uni is this, so I can remember not to send my kids there?