Re: [Nolug] "Can't activate eth0"

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:25:56 -0600 (CST)

<quote who="jdtiede@bellsouth.net">
> Up until this week, I have been running FastAccess ADSL without being
> able to activate eth0 from the RH8 Network Device Control. My
> alternate box, running RH9, would activate eth0 and connect DSL.
> Monday, while trying to get my residential router (DI-604) to work, I
> broke the connection to DSL and was unable to restore it. I couldn't
> use dial-up either. Knowing that BS had "scheduled maintenance"
> (scheduled destruction?) over the weekend, I had my password changed
> when I finally got through tech support's busy signal on Tuesday. That
> enabled me to use dial-up again but not DSL. I tried swapping the NICs
> (both D-Link DFE-530 TX+); neither would activate in another computer,
> and when I switched them to their original boxes, neither would
> activate.
> Wednesday I got the worst BS tech support person I've ever
> experienced. She insisted that since I have an unsupport modem
> (SpeedStream 5360) and unsupported OS, it has to be my fault. Today I
> got someone more helpful, who tried getting in on my id and pw and
> succeeded. So evidently the problem is on my end.
> I of course gave up on the router until I can connect both boxes
> individually without it. When I try to activate DSL, the act and enet
> lights on the bridge flash, usually repeating the same pattern at
> least three times before saying "cannot activate ppp0."
> Could the NICs be the problem?

Can you use your router to make a DSL connection? That's what I do, and
your setup is very similar to mine, but I have a DI-707 and a different
Speedstream. You may have to change a setting in the modem, which will
require logging into the modem itself, and change what amounts to the DSL
eqivalent of the number (channel) it dials (connects) to. I don't recall
the specifics right now, but I had the same problem. This info is at
home, hopefully still, and I'm not.

I avoid usign any one computer to control the DSL connection, because I
have several computers and a router that can handle it.

Be glad that B$ allows the use of a router at all...other companies TOS
you and you're screwed. They may do this soon, since they're starting to
sell residential routers. I just quit expecting support from them, unless
the problem is between the modem and them. It's either that or have a
spare machine/partitoin with M$ on it for this purpose.

I really doubt it's your NIC.

--
Alex McKenzie    alex@boxchain.com     http://boxchain.com