[Nolug] "Can't activate eth0"

From: jdtiede_at_bellsouth.net
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:31:51 -0500

    Up until this week, I have been running FastAccess ADSL without being able to activate eth0 from the RH8 Network Device Control. My alternate box, running RH9, would activate eth0 and connect DSL.
    Monday, while trying to get my residential router (DI-604) to work, I broke the connection to DSL and was unable to restore it. I couldn't use dial-up either. Knowing that BS had "scheduled maintenance" (scheduled destruction?) over the weekend, I had my password changed when I finally got through tech support's busy signal on Tuesday. That enabled me to use dial-up again but not DSL. I tried swapping the NICs (both D-Link DFE-530 TX+); neither would activate in another computer, and when I switched them to their original boxes, neither would activate.
    Wednesday I got the worst BS tech support person I've ever experienced. She insisted that since I have an unsupport modem (SpeedStream 5360) and unsupported OS, it has to be my fault. Today I got someone more helpful, who tried getting in on my id and pw and succeeded. So evidently the problem is on my end.
    I of course gave up on the router until I can connect both boxes individually without it. When I try to activate DSL, the act and enet lights on the bridge flash, usually repeating the same pattern at least three times before saying "cannot activate ppp0."
    Could the NICs be the problem?