Re: [Nolug] Why windows must die

From: scotth_at_scottharney.com
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:09:01 -0600

"Andrew S. Johnson" <andy@asjohnson.com> writes:

> Of course, you have to get onto the internet to get the patches, so it's a
> catch-22. This is what a Linux box is for.

Yep. Even just simply NAT while setting up would have prevented the MSblast
infection

>> 2) Not turning on the firewall in XP.
>
> Does this really work? Comments I've heard have been all over the map.

A recent XP service pack update turns on the firewall by default. I believe
I read/heard that this will be the default now for Windows. Make troubleshooting
fun if you're not aware of it ("I was just able to VNC to this box yesterday"
"What changed?" "Nothing" "did you do a windows update recently" "yeah....")

> They just make it sooooooooooooooo easy. It's like leaving a pile of cash
> on the porch behind a screen door. The result is just as inevitable.

Working with Windows extensively on a daily basis now has merely confirmed
my distaste for it. It's a godawful mess.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."