[Nolug] enumerating tar backups

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:22:27 -0600

Hi all!

Does anybody on the list happen to know command syntax for taking enumerated
backups using tar, so that I would only have 3 days worth of backups
available all the time.?

I have not found a tar manual explaining the method of doing this.
The option --backup=METHOD suggest along these lines, but I have not found
any list of allowed methods or other parameters for creating this.

Currently I have tar automatically create the date into the filename;
however this would consume the available HD space within a week. (Including
mirror for backups.)

What I'm trying to do is to create 3 rotating backups,
Day 1: Backup_01.tgz (eventually Days 4, 7, 10, etc....)
Day 2: Backup_02.tgz (eventually Days 5, 8, 11, etc....)
Day 3: Backup_03.tgz (eventually Days 6, 9, 12, etc....)

And when the fourth backup occurs, the backup_01.tgz will be overwritten.
The next day backup _02.tgz will be overwritten, and so on.....

Petri