[Nolug] Mimedefang Spamassassin Bayesian learning

From: J. Kent Busbee, Jr. <buz_at_penwel.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:10:58 -0600

I am using Mimedefang/Spamassassin on a FreeBSD box with some success.

However, some nasty little spams slip through. So, I have been trying
to use the sa-learn to get the Bayesian checker to correct the problem
with no luck. I assumed that Mimedefang is calling up Spamassassin
using user defang, which I created during the install. Mimedefang is
running under user defang. After many sa-learns under the user defang,
similar spams seem to keep getting through.

Is it right to assume that Mimedefang/SA use defang user to run SA? How
can I Know?

Is Bayesian turned off for some reason? How can I know?

There is one other setting I am unsure of, somewhat unrelated. In
/etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf there is the following lines:

# By default, SpamAssassin will run RBL checks. If your ISP already
# does this, set this to 1.

skip_rbl_checks 1

Should I comment this line so that SA DOES RBL checks which I think is
something to do with Reverse Domain Lookup? Uh, what is it? Should I
do it? and what is the downsides/upsides?

Thanks for any help.
buz