[Nolug] Spam blocking Draconian!!!!

From: J. Kent Busbee, Jr. <buz_at_penwel.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:50:31 -0600

ARGH!!!!

For some reason our NET has be blocked by Roadrunner. Now we can not
send email to our employee in Memphis. There is NO phone number to
contact. The only way to get it fixed is via email (GO FIGURE) to
removal@security.rr.com.

I am certain that our server is NOT the cause of the problem. It
probably is someone else on COX business net that happens to have the
same iterations in the first three fields of their IP: aaa.bbb.ccc.XXX.

Further annoying is that you have to send an email in WITH Headers and
OF COURSE MS (don't get me started) Outlook does not make that easy!
AND, they do NOT tell you this in the instructions! So, we have been
blocked for two days now!

So, I have emailed from the server, with headers and all I have gotten
is an Auto-Reply. While I am sure that they are diligently wadding
through a sea of removal requests (and many from the spammers
themselves), the fact that they have not contacted me in two days is
QUITE ANNOYING. I have visions of an offshore tech-know-wanta-be trying
to run babelfish on every message that comes in to convert it to his
native language, or lazy security techs that don't know what they are
doing and simply turn on the blocking switch for an entire block at the
first whiff of a violator from a single IP.

I've checked their blacklist providers and I am not on a single one of
them!

If I am in ERROR, and somehow have been violated by a spammer, then I
should be told with as much info as possible. But, even my provider Cox
has said that they have had no problems from me, and have hinted at
problems from others.

I am sure that there is plenty of blame to go around here. But there
has GOT to be any easier way.

Right now I am not happy with two companies:

Road Runner for blocking an entire Block of IP's for the violations of a
few.

Cox for allowing a spammer to work on their network, and for not fixing
the problem in a timely fashion.