RE: [Nolug] Microsoft Story of Interest

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:01:09 -0600

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 13:47, Chris Reames wrote:
> Good article, I agree.
> I think there is something profoundly ironic that Intel and Microsoft
> team up to create something referred to as EFI (ify).
>
> I am intrested in the competitive products by Phoenix, but the Senior
> Vice President seems to be a Microsoft dropout.
>
> "Everybody is looking to this...But only when it becomes an industry
> standard will the (PC) industry adopt it," said Tim Eades, senior vice
> president and general manager of corporate marketing and products at
> Phoenix. "When it becomes a standard, we will investigate it."
>

> I guess once it becomes the illegitimate bastard built into the
> motherboards, the industry will have to adopt it. Especially if it
> prevents Linux from running as the OS. I wonder if Microsoft will put
> a EFI BIOS flash in the Longhorn install program. Oooo, Maybe as an
> undocumented feature *puke*

It might not be as bad as we fear. Intel sells a *lot* of chips
into linux servers, which are their high margin products...

However, if I were a really malevolent virus writer, I'd be
salivating right now (unless the EFI "drivers" are embedded in
EPROMs).

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
484,246 sq mi (1,254,197 sq km) are needed for 6 billion people
to live, 4 persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150' (a nice
suburban US plot).
That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.
Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.