Re: [Nolug] Debian is chewing on my head

From: gonzeaux bevarde <gonzeaux_bevarde_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:14:24 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 09:40, gonzeaux bevarde wrote:
> Since my confidence in Red Hat has declined with the announcement of
> their new
>
> restructuring (purely my own misguided feelings Im sure) I decided to
> go with Debian
>
> Woody, of course) mostly from discussions the fine people of NOLUG
> have been
>
> having about it for months now. I really have two issues that have
> been plaguing me
>
> for a couple of days now and I dont seem to be any closer to resolving
> them:

Hi,

If you are a Debian-newbie, I'd suggest getting a commercial distro
based on Debian. My suggestion is http://www.libranet.com.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
Thanks to the good people in Microsoft, a great deal of the data
that flows is dependent on one company. That is not a healthy
ecosystem. The issue is that creativity gets filtered through the
business plan of one company.
Mitchell Baker, "Chief Lizard Wrangler" at Mozilla

Took your advice - and good advice it was. I noticed the kernel source is in bz2
format so I'm assuming I'll have to unzip that and then ln -s it to linux in order
to install anything. Syntax is still killing me in the shell - all the refs seem to
either have too much info or not nearly enough - I like the Linux Cookbook
but that isn't very practical as a reference - Anyone got a favorite.
Thanks to all for the advice - I'm using it all in one form or another.

Jack