[Nolug] Re: Distro's

From: Kevin Kreamer <kevin_at_kreamer.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 23:24:33 -0600

On Jan 7, 2004, at 21:57, <c_matthews@cox.net> wrote:
> Kevin this is Craig, could you tell me again what you recommended to
> do to fix the resolution? Also Joey could you contact me about the
> SuSE thing we were talking about tonight. Thanks
> -Craig

Craig,

If you look in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, you'll notice that's
there is a Monitor section, like so:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync 30-130
        VertRefresh 50-160
        Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Se sure that your HorizSync and VertRefresh ranges are correct, because
XFree86 will only try screen resolutions that have sync rates within
the ranges you give it. Usually you want to look in the monitor
documentation for these ranges, or perhaps on the back of the monitor
if you are lucky. If you like most people, and no longer have the
monitor docs, you can try googling for your monitor model.

Also in the same file is a Screen section, like so:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Default Screen"
        Device "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth 16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 8
                Modes "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 16
                Modes "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

You want to add the various resolutions to the Modes line for each
Display subsection. XFree86 will use the Display subsection whose
Depth matches the DefaultDepth line. It will then use the first
resolution (as listed from left to right) that it finds it can do given
the sync rates above. XFree86 will also cycle through only those
resolutions listed (I think in the order listed) when you press
Ctrl-Alt-Plus or Ctrl-Alt-Minus. If you are using an LCD, definitely
be sure to have the LCD's native resolution listed first in your
Display sections.

Hope this helps,
Kevin