Re: [Nolug] Moving a user from Red Hat 8 to Fedora 1

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 01:28:57 -0600

On Saturday 14 February 2004 03:28, Mischa Krilov spake:
> Hello, gang.
>
> This week, I plan to move my girlfriend from her old computer (running
> Red Hat 8) to a new one running Fedora 1. On the one hand, I want to
> copy her whole home directory over to the new machine and see what
> happens. On the other, I want to do this right and have it work.

I upgraded from SuSE 7.3 to 9.0 for christmas, and things went amazingly well.
There is only 1 program that won't compile (it's a very old freeware tool I
got from somewhere, no biggie). Here's what I did to migrate my homedir:

I copied everything over to /home/jkelly/oldstuff, then took my time and
copied files to their correct places for one application at a time. Mozilla
and a few other apps only required that I import my previously exported
bookmark.html file. Other applications took more effort, or filled me with
more fear.

Kmail worked perfectly when I copied everything in ~/oldstuff/Mail to ~/Mail.
Kaddressbook also worked: there was a wizard for importing old kaddressbook
data, IIRC.

...etc. One by one, I got everything working, and I've had no problems at all,
aside from that one compiled app I mentioned previously.

Oh, and don't forget all of your hidden files and directories when moving your
old stuff off. I dropped mine in ~/oldstuff/dotfiles, just to be sure I had
them.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL