[Nolug] Moving a user from Red Hat 8 to Fedora 1

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:28:58 -0600

Hello, gang.

This week, I plan to move my girlfriend from her old computer (running
Red Hat 8) to a new one running Fedora 1. On the one hand, I want to
copy her whole home directory over to the new machine and see what
happens. On the other, I want to do this right and have it work.

I've done this dozens or hundreds of times for Windows users and boxen,
but I'm less familiar with this sort of upgrade/migration for a Linux
user. Most of my personal upgrades have been more of the organic
in-place upgrades you do to a system over time: patch this, install the
new KDE that, here's a new kernel there, oh let me get the latest
version of this other app. I don't think there's anything overly
complicated going on in this situation, but I wanted to bounce my
assumptions off yall's heads.

I've already got OpenOffice.org 1.1 on her current machine, so I'm
covered there. Mozilla won't offer me too many surprises either- I plan
to just move the bookmark file and I should be good. I could try moving
the profile (passwords and cookies and such), but I seem to remember
hearing that Moz was a little cranky with moved/copied profiles. Anyone
have any stories to tell?

Honestly, my real concern (and it may be moot) is upgrading Ximian
Evolution 1.0.8 to 1.4.x. I can't imagine that there would be any
incompatibilities or risk of lost data for this, but I don't know for
sure. Anyone using Evolution out there? Can you clue me in on any
gotchas to watch out for?

As for the other apps she uses, I think I have a handle on them. Gaim,
some Linux games (Bubble Shooter is addictive), some DOS-emulated games,
and the Gimp. Of course, the new machine comes with a CD burner. Can
anyone suggest a good GUI burner?

[As an aside: The NetGear MA311 wireless card (802.11b) was a piece of
cake to get working in Red Hat 8. I recommend using this Netgear product
and staying the hell away from the unsupported SMC 2602W. I really need
to post my notes from that nightmare.]

If anyone wants to chime in with any ideas, stories, warnings, thoughts,
opinions, questions, or any helpful information- please feel free.

Thanks for keeping me from sleeping on the couch!

Mischa.