Re: [Nolug] Moving a user from Red Hat 8 to Fedora 1

From: James Scott <jhs_technical_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Feb 2004 10:19:02 -0600

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 03:28, Mischa Krilov wrote:
> Hello, gang.
>
> This week, I plan to move my girlfriend from her old computer (running
> Red Hat 8) to a new one running Fedora 1. On the one hand, I want to
> copy her whole home directory over to the new machine and see what
> happens. On the other, I want to do this right and have it work.
Smart fella.

> I've done this dozens or hundreds of times for Windows users and boxen,
> but I'm less familiar with this sort of upgrade/migration for a Linux
> user. Most of my personal upgrades have been more of the organic
> in-place upgrades you do to a system over time: patch this, install the
> new KDE that, here's a new kernel there, oh let me get the latest
> version of this other app. I don't think there's anything overly
> complicated going on in this situation, but I wanted to bounce my
> assumptions off yall's heads.
>
> I've already got OpenOffice.org 1.1 on her current machine, so I'm
> covered there. Mozilla won't offer me too many surprises either- I plan
> to just move the bookmark file and I should be good. I could try moving
> the profile (passwords and cookies and such), but I seem to remember
> hearing that Moz was a little cranky with moved/copied profiles. Anyone
> have any stories to tell?
I have moved between version here several times but never kept anything
but bookmarks. I have moved profiles from mozilla to netscape without
issue.

> Honestly, my real concern (and it may be moot) is upgrading Ximian
> Evolution 1.0.8 to 1.4.x. I can't imagine that there would be any
> incompatibilities or risk of lost data for this, but I don't know for
> sure. Anyone using Evolution out there? Can you clue me in on any
> gotchas to watch out for?
I upgraded an early Ximian to 1.2.2-5 without issue by just copying the
directory from the home folders without incident. It found the stuff
and just went to work on it. (whew)

> As for the other apps she uses, I think I have a handle on them. Gaim,
> some Linux games (Bubble Shooter is addictive), some DOS-emulated games,
> and the Gimp. Of course, the new machine comes with a CD burner. Can
> anyone suggest a good GUI burner?
I have has great experiences with Xcdroast. It is a bit different when
you first look at it but has never failed me yet.